Legal Status and Structure
- Karuna Trust has been incorporated as a duly constituted Trust under the laws of Sri Lanka. It is registered at the Ministry of Social Services of Sri Lanka as a Non Governmental Organization (NGO), with the registration No. L28501. It is also registered at the Center for Non Governmental Organizations, under the Ministry of Finance, with the registration No.K02.
- The Trust consists of a Board of Directors responsible for its overall policy decisions, a Board of Trustees that takes care of its day to day activities, a Patron and an advisory Board.
Karuna Trust’s commitment to accountability
In view of recent concerns about accountability of non-profit organizations, Karuna Trust would like to state clearly its commitment to accountability.
Karuna Trust receives regularly money from M/s. Karunaratne & Sons Ltd., a leading printing establishment in Sri Lanka. Also it raises money from the general public as well as from corporations, private foundations and other funding agencies.
- 100% of donations raised from the general public go directly to the poverty alleviation projects for which they were intended. We do not use any donations for administrative purposes.
- All donations from corporations, private foundations and other funding agencies is used only for the purposes they are intended. Karuna Trust would regularly report on how the funds are being used.
- All overheads and administrative costs are covered by the funds received from M/s. Karunaratne & Sons.
In keeping with its obligations as a registered nonprofit (L 8250) institution, Karuna Trust submits full financial information, to the Department of Social Services and to the Department of Inland Revenue on annual basis. Copies of this information are available from firstname.lastname@example.org or
67, UDA Industrial Estate,
An independent accounting firm conducts annual audit of Karuna Trust.
Our volunteer Board of Directors oversees the work, sets policies, procedures, and monitors our objectives and expenditure to ensure that funds are spent wisely. Karuna Trust evaluates every program to ensure that your donation is put to effective use.